Self Filing

Girl with laptop displaying MyFreeTaxes

CASH ChecklistDo you like the convenience of completing your taxes on your own or with assistance?

For individuals and/or families who would like to have a volunteer file their taxes for them through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA), click here.

File on your own with MyFreeTaxes

United Way partners with industry leader H&R Block to help people easily and accurately file both their federal and state taxes through MyFreeTaxes®. MyFreeTaxes (MFT) is mobile optimized so anyone can access from their computer, tablet or smartphone. Most filers complete their taxes in less than hour.

Some “free” tax preparation products only cover federal (not state) filing, or charge extra for anything beyond the most basic forms. MFT is completely free for individuals and families who earned less than $66,000 in 2020 — whether you file in multiple states, work freelance, have a side gig or earn investment income.

MFT is powered by H&R Block’s premium software, so filing is easy, secure, and guaranteed to be 100% accurate. The software scans for any tax credit you’re entitled to, making sure you get your maximum refund.

Over 1.1 million people nationwide have used MFT, bringing over $1.7 billion of refunds back to our local communities. The CA$H Coalition and United Way of the Greater Capital Region is committed to ensuring that hardworking families and individuals can easily and accurately file their taxes to receive the refunds and credits they deserve.

Ready to file?

Go to

File with Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA)

Taxpayers have the option of filing their Federal and State taxes for FREE using a link to TaxSlayer FSA. On the site you can complete your returns on your own with access to support from VITA partners ready to answer your tax questions while you are preparing your return.

If you are getting help filing your taxes be sure to have Photo ID and Social Security Card for each adult in your household you are filing for.

FSA Sites

Appointments required

Union College
257 Park Place, Schenectady
(518) 388-6652

YWCA Northeastern NY
15 Trinity Place, Albany
(518) 463-1516 Ext. 15 


Find a VITA filing site in your county here.