Senior VP Community Impact
Reporting to the President & CEO, this senior position will work with internal teams and Community Impact volunteer leadership to establish, plan and implement the Community Impact vision and strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate and operationalize United Way GCR strategic vision of advancing the common good.
- Work with internal & external stakeholders to develop plans and set measurable objectives to achieve desired change in conditions and systems within the Greater Capital Region.
- Identify and develop strategic alliances to advance the impact agenda and organizational goals.
- Oversee the departments' responsibility for engaging and retaining diverse stakeholders and partners.
- Direct grants management that includes United Way grant-making and grant procurement.
- Develop and maintain working agreements and contracts with diverse partners that are consistent with the goals.
- Assist the President & CEO in policy development and implementation related to community impact.
- Champion United Way in social and business settings, including representing United Way at community forums and events.
- Provide strategic leadership to United Way Community Investments systems and procedures within policy guidelines.
- Work cooperatively with RD, Marketing, and Operations to achieve organizational goals.
- Direct, train, develop, and provide professional direction to the Community Impact department.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with for profit, not for profit, organized Labor, Education and other organizations with common interests and priorities.
- Recruitment and development of volunteers.
- Promote positive agency relations among all United Way constituents.
- Successful track record of community organizing and social planning in not for profit organization.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Superior supervisory experience including project management.
- Experience in developing communications in partnership with internal partners including policy development.
- Demonstrated understanding of basic business financial management.
- Assist in the development, management and implementation of the strategic and business plan, multiple projects and time schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, vendors, customers, and volunteers.
- Proven experience in establishing a positive working relationships with staff teams, volunteers and community stakeholders.
- Ability to solve programmatic problems and make recommendations for situations that may arise in community impact's investment process and/or community building partnerships.
- Strong organizational, communication and analytical skills required.
- Experienced in evaluating program and community outcomes, and reporting results to other departments and/or applicable funder(s). Prepare and monitor department budget.
- Exceptional public speaking skills essential.
Education and/or Experience:
- Masters degree in Social Work, Public Administration, Business Administration preferred.
- 5 -8 years of successful experience in agency senior level management responsible for strategic planning, program development and assessment.
- Experience providing leadership to projects that collect, analyze and present data related to social needs and economic influences with effective application to business goals and objectives
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with fundraising.
Demonstrated ability to tactfully handle stressful situations, negotiate and resolve conflicts, maintain confidentiality and to respect and observe organizational protocol.
Demonstrated skills using software, including Internet browsers, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets,database and presentation software.
Solid verbal and written communication skills.
Leadership skills with the ability to recruit, engage, lead, motivate, train, supervise and managea Resource Development staff with diverse skills.
Ability to oversee and prioritize a wide variety of projects from inception to completion.
Understands general business and financial principals required to effectively lead, manage and align resources for performance; and have the ability to read financial statements and create budgets.
Ability to recruit and establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of United Way staff,volunteers, donors, and community partners.
Provide excellent customer service, problem solving, conflict resolution, decision making, leadership, time management and motivational skills.
Individual must possess a valid driver’s license and car insurance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is frequently required to speak, hear, see and use depth perception. The employee is occasionally required to climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, handle, and feel. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to normal office work environment conditions. Internally controlled working environment with little or no hazardous conditions (including but not limited to: fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme heat/cold/humid conditions, risk of electrical shock, vibrations, and/or airborne particles) in normal work location. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
(1) Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilites to perform the essential functions.